Monday, March 15, 2010

Blueberry Scones

So, why in the world did I subject myself to a three week cleanse? I was definitely motivated to improve my health - to rid myself of toxins and to reset my body to function effectively and efficiently are pretty compelling reasons. Of all of the crazy detox plans that I've tortured myself with, this was definitely the most effective and the most reasonable in terms of food consumption. I definitely experienced the benefits of the cleanse --- weight loss (8 lbs for me), sleeping better (I was raging insomniac), increased energy, and improved skin complexion. To learn more about this detox, read Clean by Alessandro Junger MD and/or check out the Clean Program website.

This detox also gave me an opportunity to get centered and to reset mentally and emotionally. Back in January, I decided to quit my job of 8 years and to walk away from a work environment that made me tremendously unhappy. I had a lot of raised eyebrows around me - they think I'm crazy quitting a job in this economy! Did I question my decision - absolutely! Ultimately, I have no regrets about this move.
Even more eye-opening were the reactions of my ex-colleagues. Some have been extraordinarily supportive and have truly been there for me (you guys know who you are - thank U!). For others, they have let their true colors show, and it has been very disappointing.

I'm over it....and I've moved on. After a brief haitus, I'm back working for a new entrepeneurial venture, and it's been great! I'm working with great colleagues, and we're all really thrilled about the future prospects of our business.
During my mind and body detox, I ate a serious boatload of blueberries (you can call me Violet Beauregarde). Those little blue gems were blended into prepackaged smoothies to make them more palatable and were the perfect snack to stave off hunger. I had bags of Trader Joe's wild blueberries stocked in my freezer, and I wanted to make something with them that didn't involve a blender.

During the cleanse, I had really intense cravings for breakfast carbs. You name it, I craved it --- buttered toast, pancakes, french toast, waffles, scones. As I had all the ingredients for scones handy, they were whipped up in flash one morning. Eaten warm out the of the oven, these scones are light and flaky, and just slightly sweet. I especially love using TJ's wild blueberries in these scones, as the berries are small but very flavorful.

Blueberry Scones
adapted slightly from the Foster's Market Cookbook
makes 18 scones

4 1/2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 C frozen blueberries (do not defrost)
1 1/4 C plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
Egg wash: 1 lrg egg beaten w. 2 tbsp milk

- preheat oven to 400F degrees
- line two baking sheets with parchment or silpat and set aside
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
- add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or 2 knives (I like to use my fingers). Do not overwork the dough.
- add the frozen blueberries
- add 1 1/4 C buttermilk and mix until just combined and the dough comes together. If the dough appears too dry, add buttermilk 1 tbsp at a time.
- turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into thirds. Pat the three portions into rounds about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges and place on the baking sheets. Brush tops with the egg wash.
- bake 30 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

3 comments:

Eliana said...

These scones could not look beautiful. And good for you for taking charge of your life and moving on to bigger and better things. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors :)

Viv said...

Just came across your blog today. Great stuff! I am going to give those scones a try soon! :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I tip my hat off to you for both your body work detox. It takes a lot to make life changes like that and I'm amazed you did it while forgoing carbs and baking at the same time!

Wishing you all the very best Linda!
~ingrid

Blog Widget by LinkWithin