Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream (TWD)

chocolate ganache ice cream-5
When we're talking about chocolate ice cream, my husband is the connoiseur in our house. He's a less is more kinda guy, and believes that "all that unnecessary stuff" (i.e. nuts, chocolate chips, etc) gets in the way of enjoying really great chocolate ice cream. In most instances I do agree with him, but there are times when nothing else satisfies me like a double scoop of Rocky Road in a waffle cone!
chocolate ganache ice cream-4
This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe for Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream was of keen interest to my husband. He was particularly interested in comparing Dorie Greenspan's recipe to his all-time favorite - David Lebovitz's Bittersweet Chocolate. Sadly, as timing would have it, the hubs has been out of town, so he'll have to hold off a few more days before he can put his taste buds to the test.
chocolate ganache ice cream-6
So, which did I enjoy more, Dorie or David? C'mon, it's like asking me to pick a favorite child. Honestly, both ice creams are both DEE-licious! Both ice creams had a wonderfully luscious and creamy consistency, and the chocolate flavors were deep and intense. I think these ice creams are meant to be enjoyed simply and unadorned, and a small scoop is totally satisfying.

Thank you Katrina of Baking and Boys for a perfect summertime pick. Hop over to Katrina's blog for Dorie Greenspan's recipe. If you're interested in doing your own taste comparison check out David Lebovitz's recipe here:

Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream
from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
makes approximately 1 quart

2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-proces cocoa powder
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Warm 1 cup of cream with cocoa powder in medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to boil then reduce heat and gently simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Stir in remaining cup of cream. Pour mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as much as possible. Set mesh strainer atop the bowl. Warm milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed yolks back into the saucepan. Stir mixture constantly over medium heat making sure the scrape the bottom and corners, until the mixture thickens and reaches nappe consistency. Pour custard through strainer and stir it into the chocolate until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Continue to stir over ice bath until cool. Refrigerate the mixture to cool thoroughly and then freeze it in your ice cream machine per the manufacturer’s instructions.

18 comments:

Nickki said...

Both your ice creams look so good! I will have to try the DL recipe now, just to compare :-)

Natalie said...

good to know there are some men out there who love chocolate, too. :)

Pamela said...

You're right, they both look incredible. What else can we expect from two dessert masters, right? Where did you get your containers? I would love to get some of those. Anyway...nice job! Hope the hubs enjoys his taste test.

Eliana said...

Love testing recipes side by side and love even more when you don't have to pick a favorite.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I hear ya...I have a hard time picking my fave of anything, too!

I would though like to hear what yours hubs has to say after he does his taste testing.
~ingrid

Linda said...

Hi Pamela,
I found my containers at Smart & Final, and they come in 25 to a pack.

I believe they are hot soup containers (w. two holes on the lid to vent the steam), but they work perfectly for ice cream.

Linda

Tia said...

oh wow they look fantastic! both of them. equally decadent.

Amber Marie said...

Ooh, I'll have to make David Lebovitz's and take the taste test! I love his ice creams.

alvarosa said...

Usually I would say, "my icecream has pieces in it" - pieces of whatsoever. Nuts, caramel, toffee, chocolate - I almost don't mind. But this was like frozen Mousse au Chocolate - and who needs pieces in icecream, when you can have frozen Mousse?

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

What fun --- the taste test. Both look great but I have to see for myself. There is definitely an evil grin on my face, as I think of those ice creams.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

You can send over a bowl of both, please! :) Looking good, Linda!

Shandy said...

Ooooohhhh! A comparison between to brilliant chefs! Love it! Now I want to try the comparison. I already have enough issues staying out of Dorie's ice cream though; a couple spoonfuls is so hard to do with something this good. Great pictures too!

Paula said...

What a fun cook-off! They both look fabulous--in part due to your wonderful photography.

Katrina said...

I love doing comparisons with similar recipes. I can't remember if I've tried DL's bittersweet one, but I love his Philly style chocolate ice cream recipe.
Great post!
Thanks for churning along with me this week.

Lillian said...

I love the idea of a taste-off!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

two pints of fabulous ice cream! your husband will have something to look forward to when he gets back home!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Clever how you ended up with two pints of fabulous chocolate ice cream. I need to do more head-to-head experiments!

Kayte said...

Oh, I just love research...this looks like a great research project to me...my guys would love being the taste testers for this one! I finally got around to serving it to them last night, so not sure if I will get around to posting or not as I was gone that week and might just call it a day, but fun to see yours and fun to hear about the results!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin