Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream Sandwich (TWD)

If you haven't figured out by now, I LOVE making homemade ice cream! I was thrilled to see that we had ice cream slated for this week's Tuesdays With Dorie. Selected by Dolores at Chronicles in Culinary Curiousity, this recipe for blueberry sour cream ice cream sounded like a perfect summer treat. This recipe was really simple to prepare, as all you need to do is cook & puree the berries, mix in a combination of heavy cream and sour cream, chill and churn. I love this recipe as there were no eggs to temper...yippeee! I went with fresh blueberries, as my local markets are overflowing with them. I also went ahead and added twice the amount of lemon juice (really dig the tart flavor). Once assembled and frozen, I took a little taste test (okay, twist my arm! ;) )...YUM!!! Great thick, creamy texture, beautiful purplish/bluish hue, and a nice tangy flavor that comes from the sour cream. In many ways, this tasted like a frozen blueberry cheesecake filling.With cheesecake in mind, I decide to play with the recipe and made mini ice cream sandwiches. I paired the ice cream with a ridiculously easy graham cracker based cookie (the original recipe and my adaptation notes are below). To make these sandwiches, pour the just churned icecream into a 8x8 dish (or a loaf pan---that's what I used here) and freeze to set.

Graham Cookies
makes approx 24 cookies

1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs (I pulverized my in a food processor)
1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C shredded coconut
2 C chocolate chips/nuts (if omitting completely, as I did here, up the flour by 1/2 C)

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder in a bowl to combine
- Incoporate the butter and condensed milk until combined
- Fold in the shredded coconut (and choc chips and nuts, if using)
- Drop dough by the teaspoon and bake until nice and browned - 8-10 minutes.

For the sandwich recipe, halve the recipe and spread the dough onto an 9x13" pan or 1/4 sheet pan lined with parchment (very important as the dough is extremely sticky). Bake at 350 for approx 18-22 minutes, until the top is nice and golden brown. Note: I used an 8x8 pan for the cookies shown here, and the cookies came out a bit thicker than I would have liked. If you like thicker cookies, this should fit the bill; if you like your cookies thinner, definitely go with a larger pan.

I cut the cookies and ice cream using a fluted round cookie cutter, assembled the sandwiches, and placed the finished sandwiches in the freezer to set. Keep in mind that the ice cream needs to be frozen solid when assembling the sandwiches and you need to work quickly, or you will end up with a melting mess.

These mini cheesecake ice cream sandwiches tasted fantastic (it's another story on how these little guys looked :( ). The ice cream was the highlight in this treat, and this recipe will definitely be flagged for a repeat!

For the receipe, please head over to Dolores' blog. To see what everyone else churned, check out the TWD blogroll.

26 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

those look great--that cookie...mmmm!

Cristine said...

Those cookies look amazing! I still have some ice cream in the freezer... I may have to try it out!

chocolatechic said...

I immediately thought if graham crackers too.

Yours looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, and I love the images! I have yet to make an ice cream sandwich and need to hurry before summer is over. The fact that it was easy to make is a bonus.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh. my. gosh. These look so delicious! Cookies from graham crackers - what a great idea. Great job!!!

CB said...

Oh man! These look amazing! I totally want to make ice cream sandwiches next time! I love lemon too and doubled it in mine. It was goooood. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

grace said...

excellent, excellent idea! that's by far the best ice cream sandwich my two eyes have ever seen. not only does the ice cream sound terrific, but those cookies would be the perfect accompaniment! nicely done! :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Absolutely love this! Those cookies look almost as good as the ice cream. What a terrific combination!

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful! I love what you did with those ice cream sandwiches!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

That looks fabulous! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! Gorgeous pics, too! :)

Anonymous said...

graham cracker cookies, what a great combo! i wouldn't have thought of it, but it looks delicious.

Engineer Baker said...

Graham cracker cookies sound amazing! Your sandwiches are too perfect though, I'm having ice cream sandwich envy :)

Susie Homemaker said...

oh yum. these look so GOOD!! beautifully photographed as well...

Shirlie said...

yum! your ice cream sandwiches are adorable.

Prudy said...

Oh what a grand idea. Yum!

Rigby said...

I love the graham cracker cookie idea! Sounds wonderful!

Mari said...

OMG, i love ice cream sandwiches and I've no idea why I haven't tried making them at home! Looking at your pictures is making my mouth water!!!

Lynne Daley said...

I like the ice cream sandwich idea. The graham cracker cookie makes a nice contrast with the blueberry ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Are you serious!? Those look amazing. I am dying right now because I want one!

Sihan said...

mini frozen cheesecakes!!! utter bliss... amazing stuff.

Anonymous said...

i'm drooling. that combo looks delicious. good lord.

Anonymous said...

Those look FABULOUS! Yum.

Brilynn said...

Your ice cream sandwiches look to die for! Very nice!

Maria said...

SO adorable! I love the sandwiches!

Pamela said...

Oy...these sound FABULOUS! What a great idea and wonderful pairing. Excellent job.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin