Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Linzer Sables (TWD)

Tis the season...I LOVE this time of year! Yes, I'm one of those crazy lunatics that loves to decorate the house top to bottom, play holiday music every chance I get (and successfully drive my hubby crazy), shop til I drop, and bake to my heart's content for family and friends.

Linzer Sables are a perfect seasonal choice for this week's Tuesdays With Dorie. Selected by Noskos of Living The Life, these darling looking cookie gems are tender, nutty and so flavorful.I followed the recipe as written, with hazelnuts as my ground nut choice. I would definitely recommend freezing the rolled sheets of cookie dough before cutting, as the dough is really sticky and tough to work with otherwise. To get a nice golden brown color, I reduced the baking time to 9 minutes; at the recommended 11-13 minutes, the cookies were a bit well done.
I sandwiched the cookies with dollops of raspberry and blackberry jams. Dorie Greenspan's suggestion for a chocolate filling sounded divine (hazelnuts & chocolate --- how can you go wrong!), and I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next time.
This was the perfect recipe to kick off the holiday baking season. This was just a warm up --- I have quite the variety of cookies to make this month, and I definitely be sharing them with you in future posts.

If you'd like to make this yourself (which I highly recommend), Noskos has it available on his blog. To see the handiwork of 350+ TWD bakers, check out the blogroll.

26 comments:

Cristine said...

Yours look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

It has been years since I have made this cookie. They are alot of work but so worth it. I love biting into them and tasting the jam. Beautiful job, they look lovely and this is on my to do list. Thanks for the inspiration.

chocolatechic said...

Beautiful.

I was going to use chocolate too, but my friend is allergic to chocolate, so I did jam.

Isabelle Lambert said...

c'est superbe, tes photos sont magnifiques :)

The Food Librarian said...

Awesome! These are very pretty! Happy Holiday season to you :)

Jodie said...

Gorgeous! I love the holidays, too! It's ok to put up the tree and decorations the day after Halloween, right? :)

Rachel said...

Yours look lovely--and blackberry jam sounds fab!

vibi said...

How could we expect any but perfection... as much for the sablés, as for the pictures! Always a treat for me to visit!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

I know what you mean about driving your hubby crazy with all the Christmas music - its the same at our house!! But deep down, I think he secretly loves it! ;-)
Your sables look amazing!! I love the cute little star cut-outs in the centers...your pics make me really wish I had used jam instead of Nutella!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Peggy said...

Your Christmas sounds like my kind of Christmas. Your cookies look great! Isn't December fun?

kimberly salem said...

beautiful photos!! i love the excess powdered sugar showing the cookie shape :) glad you liked them!

Sihan said...

oh i love the thickness to yours! looks almost perfect! beautiful photos as usual! and yay! xmas is almost here!

Anonymous said...

Your linzer sables look perfect!

Julie said...

That is exactly what I was missing while baking those cookies: christmas music! I dont know how, but each year I go get my holiday CD's there's some missing... I know it drives my husband crazy too, but could he?... Jokes aside, your Linzer sablés are beautiful. Yes, do try them with the chocolate filling next time. With the nut flavor in the cookies it's a perfect match!

What's for Supper? said...

As for me I love the cookie baking aspect this time of the year. Your cookies look wonderful.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look beautiful! let's eat cookies and go shopping! :)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Your photos of the jam is making my mouth water. Your cookies look so delicious. You are the second baker I have seen to go with hazelnuts and that sounds so good to me. I think I will make a note in my book for next time.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing photos. I love the little star (or is it flower) cutout for the window on yours - it definitely dresses them up.

Danielle said...

Your cookies look great.

I love your pictures I need to figure out how to get great pics like yours I am jealous!

Piggy said...

Your linzer sables look really great! Did you use a linzer cutter? :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. These photos could be in a cookbook or magazine.

Anonymous said...

These look beautiful!

Unknown said...

I think these are the most gorgeous photos I've seen of the linzer sables!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what beautiful cookies! Now I feel like I should have sandwiched some jam between two of my sugar cookies. ;)

TeaLady said...

Beautiful cookies. I will have to try these one day. Chocolate and hazelnut would be good. They look yummy!!!

Liliana said...

What beautiful cookies you made!

Wonderful photos!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin