I did take some liberties with this recipe (you can find the complete original recipe at Liz's terrific blog, Cake or Death? ):
- I halved the recipe to accommodate a 8x3 loaf pan.
- Challah was my bread of choice. The bread was cut into thick slices, liberally slathered with apple butter, and then cut into cubes.
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon was added to the custard mixture.
- Baking time was adjusted to 1 hour
- Once out of the oven, I let the bread pudding cool to room temp. After unmolding from the pan, the bread pudding is sliced, and these slices are fried on both sides with a generous amount of butter (just like frying up french toast). Sure, this is a total fat bomb but boy o' boy is it delicious! Frying creates a beautiful crust, and its slight crunchy exterior gives in to the soft, rich interior. Although the fruit is no longer distinguishable, the apple flavor definitely shines. A little dusting of powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is all you need to complete this dessert.
Thank you Liz for this super delicious selection!