Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Arborio Rice Pudding - Chocolate & Chai (TWD)

Rice pudding is on the menu for this week’s Tuesdays With Dorie. I was looking forward to making this recipe, selected by Isabelle of Les gourmandises d’Isa. Rice pudding is the epitome of comfort food, and for me it is best eaten when curled up on the couch with my favorite blanket and catching up on TIVO (Top Chef, House, Grey’s Anatomy marathon, anyone?).

The recipe itself is pretty simple and straightforward. I noted a couple of major differences between this recipe and others that I’ve tried: (1) parboiling the rice first and (2) no eggs. I decided to follow the recipe as written too see how things would turn out. For flavor, I added a cinnamon stick (broken in two) to the mixture.

Dorie Greenspan personally reached out to the TWD group to highlight a correction on the recipe, which is to cook the pudding for 45-55 minutes (not the 30 minutes noted in the book). Even after cooking over a low heat for one hour, the pudding mixture barely thickened (could I have parboiled for too long, stripping the starch out of the rice?).

After taking the pudding off the stove, I divided the pudding into two containers and flavored one with 2 oz bittersweet chocolate (it melted into the still hot pudding beautifully) and the other with vanilla extract and chai spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger).

The chocolate version thickened nicely overnight. I couldn’t say the same for the chai version as it was still watery and soupy (blech!). I ended up reheating that portion, tempered in one egg and cooked it for a few minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken. After re-cooling and refrigerating, I finally got the thick, creamy texture that I was looking for.

Taste-wise, I thought that both versions were quite delicious. I was particularly really happy with the chocolate version, as for whatever reason chocolate in rice pudding didn’t really excite me.

I liked the simplicity of this recipe (and would make a mental note to temper in two eggs for the full recipe), but I don’t think this will trump my go-to rice pudding recipe. For the recipe, please check out Isabelle’s charming site. To see rice pudding by the hundreds, check out the TWD blogroll.

30 comments:

Cristine said...

Love your pictures! Your pudding looks great!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I love your picture!

Mari said...

Chai rice pudding sounds divine, thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I know the chai pudding didn't work out, but the flavor sounds amazing! Chocolate rice pudding just doesn't work for me; I guess I'm a pudding traditionalist!

chocolatechic said...

Looks great.

I bet the cinnamon tasted fabulous in this

vibi said...

Love, love, love... all that happiness, those bright colors are completely crazy!
Thank goodness for revamping the although delicious looking rice puddings, brown and white blandness.
BEAUTIFUL!

Steph said...

Mine was soupy too. I was going to add an egg to thicken mine, but I couldn't risk having both scrambled and soup in the same dessert. Your pictures are amazing as usual!

Kimberly Johnson said...

The chai spices sound like a fabulous addition! Great photograph too!

Engineer Baker said...

Chai sounds wonderful, and I love that the title is written on the cute little spoon. Perfect!

Marthe said...

Your pudding looks delicious!! (and I don't even like rice pudding....) I'm doing a rewind this week and making the brioche raisin snails... Yum!

P.S. I'm having a Sinterklaas giveaway: closing the 20th of November

Miss Honey said...

Chai and chocolate, what a fantastic combination! Love the pic:)

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, the chai one sounds fantastic. And I'm so there on the Top Chef and House marathon!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

good fix to thicken it up! your layered pudding looks delicious!!

Tami said...

I had to go back and cook my pudding longer. After doing so, it thickened up quite nicely. I liked the chocolate version when I really didn't think that I would..although mine was really a vanilla/choc. mix.

Your pictures are beautiful! The chai spices sound like a hit in the rice pudding.

Anne said...

The flavors sound amazing and the photos are stunning! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I will have the try the chai rice pudding. Your rice pudding looks great. I ended up reheating mine until it thicken up and it was nice, but I think I will also stick to my go to rice pudding :)

Anonymous said...

I love the looks of this rice pudding! And I neeeed to know what chai tastes like!

Fabulous ness! :D

the Spaz said...

Your pictures are FABULOUS, Linda! And the chai version sounds very good, even to somelike myself who isn't head over heels about rice pudding. :)

Anonymous said...

The chai version sounds really good, and I love that you were able to go back and mend it a little! Nice work!

Flourchild said...

Oooo chai spices..my favorite! I love your first picture..perfect. Your rice pudding sounds wonderful..Thanks for checking mine out!

Rachel said...

Ok even though I don't like rice pudding your photos make me want to take a bite! Great job!

Carmen Cooks said...

What a good idea to make a chai version!! Very creative. :) Looks so delicious! I wish I'd thought to play around. :)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Plain rice pudding is so comforting and delicious, but with chai spices it must be magical. Thanks for sharing the "Gonzo" rice pudding recipe. I just came across it last week for the first time in Gourmet's newsletter and I am glad to know it makes the cut as your go-to rice pudding recipe and is worth trying. Also, really nice save on your watery version.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Yes, great save on the chai pudding. And thanks for the recipe. I'm planning to make rice pudding again this weekend, and may branch out to another recipe. Beautiful job!
Nancy

TeaLady said...

when I finally find the rice and get around to doing this one I am definately going with the chai and chocolate. There were lots of flavors the other TWDers used, but Chai. Wowie! Looks perfect

Shari said...

I love that you layered it! And I love chai-flavored food!

Di said...

Beautiful pictures! I love chai flavors, but wouldn't have thought to add them to this--great idea. And I like how you layered it with the chocolate.

Lynne Daley said...

Vibrant photos! Your text looks cute on the wooden spoon.

Sandy Smith said...

Good idea to reheat and add the egg. My rice pudding was pretty loose, but the kids ate it happily. Love Dorie's baked goods but will probably stick with my tried-n-true rice pudding recipe (heavy cream - gasp!).

I love your photography, by the way . . . delicious!

Peggy said...

Great photos and I can't believe the chocolate one thickened but the vanilla one didn't! Drat. Oh well, there's always twofer pie this week!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin