Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rugelach Trio (TWD)

After two glorious weeks road tripping through NorCal, it is so good to be home!!! Now, don't get me wrong --- vacation was a total blast, but there is something to be said for the comforts of home i.e. to sleep in my own comfy bed!!! :)
Now, back to the business of baking! Rugelach is this week's Tuesdays With Dorie pick, selected by Grace of Piggy's Cooking Journal.

I'll admit that I've attempted to make rugelah once a few years back, and it was a total disaster! I ended up with a sticky/messy dough, misshapen cookies, and burnt filling that oozed out of the cookie. Dorie Greenspan's recipes rarely fail, so I entrusted in her rugelach recipe to redeem myself. I followed the dough recipe exactly as written, and made three different fillings:

raspberry jam, mini chocolate chips, and pecans

Nutella & Heath toffee bits

blueberry jam, dried blueberries, white chocolate and almonds

Yipeee!!! This recipe worked like a charm! As I made the rugelach this time around, I've learned a couple of things:

1. freeze the shaped cookies before baking to retain their shape
2. use restraint with the filling...a little goes a long way!

I was really pleased with this recipe, and as a bonus it was really quick and easy to assemble. All three of the fillings were delicious, but I would have to say that Dorie's suggestion of the jam, chocolate chips & pecans was my favorite. This is definitely going be part of my cookie baking rotation from this point on!

If you'd like this recipe, go to Grace's blog or Dorie Greenspan's blog (it also includes some great rugelach pointers). To see other creative versions of this delicious recipe, make sure to peruse the TWD blogroll.

27 comments:

Cristine said...

Your rugelach looks delicious!!! I made a trio, too! Good things come in threes, I guess! :)

I'll have to use the freezing tip next time I make these!

chocolatechic said...

Yeah....now you tell me about restraint on the filling.

sigh.... : )

Yours look fabulous.

Isabelle Lambert said...

tes photos sont superbes :)

Engineer Baker said...

I'm glad this try was a success - all three fillings sound wonderful, and they look just perfect!

Jules Someone said...

Those look amazing! Both pieces of advice go a long way with this recipe. Yum!

Shelby said...

Beautiful scenery! Your rugelach looks great also!

The Food Librarian said...

So beautiful - both the rugelach and yosemite! Stayed at the Ahw! Wow!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love Yosemite. It's sooo pretty and gorgeous. It's been too long since I've been there.

Your rugelach look gorgeous too. The nutella/heath bar combo sounds delicious. Yum!

vibi said...

I'm drooling just thinking of Nutella and toffee bits in that soft cheesy dough... mmmmm... you make me dream of things I shouldn't, YOU....!!! LOL

kimberly salem said...

ooh, nutella and toffee, i am drooling! :) i wanted to use nutella, but forgot to buy some. next time! yours look so great, and i love those sugar crystals :)

spike. said...

I love the look of coarse sugar on top

Beth said...

Holy cow - those photos are AMAZING!!! I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

Rachel said...

Oh wow the blueberry and white chocolate sounds amazing! Next time I will take your tip and freeze before baking!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

gorgeous scenery--must have been a great trip! nice looking rugelach...love all the filling combos!

slush said...

You guys are so smart. I totally forgot the chilling before baking step, let alone freezing! BRILLIANT!

So glad you liked them and they look fab too! :)

Heather B said...

I love all of your fillings! Great job!

Anne said...

Your rugelach looks wonderful and I love the photos from your trip- wow!

CB said...

We're rugelach twins! I did the nutella and toffee too. Yours looks so yummy with that sugar. I am a sucker for a sugar topping. I agree with the filling restraint. Uh... but I apparently didn't learn that one. I had major filling leakage. HAHA. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Passionate Baker said...

wowww...your rugelach looks amazzzzing!
i love all your variations!!
great job!
<3

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had an amazing trip! And then you come home and make some amazing rugelach!?!?! That nutella with toffee bits!? HELLO!!!

Piggy said...

Great looking rugelach! And I love your pics of Yosemite, I wanna go there one of these days!

Stacey Snacks said...

Love the addition of the Nutela to the traditional Rugelach.
I have such fond memories of ruggies from the Jewish Bakery in NY when I was a kid.
Yours are so good, I want to eat the screen!

Mari said...

The blueberry jam, dried blueberries, white chocolate and almond filling sounds to die for!!! Well done! I can't wait to make rugelach again, I really loved it!

Sonya said...

Your pictures are so perfect...wow...so your rugelach meke me in ''appetit''...:)

Fit Chick said...

Your rugelach look so good! And I love your owl. Great combinations and thank you for visiting my blog.

LyB said...

Oh, wow! Those look beautiful! And that trio of flavors sounds incredible.

Jen said...

Wow--- these look great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin