Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pear Muffin Cake

Am I the only one that absolutely hates going out on New Years Eve? Maybe I’m becoming an old fuddy-duddy, but nothing beats curling up with my hubby on the couch in my flannel pjs, watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi Channel, and muching a huge bowl of popcorn and drinking champagne.

This morning, I woke up without an alarm clock and hang-over free (ahhh, now that’s a great feeling). My hubby and I hung out on our pjs all morning, enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the backyard (it was a gorgeous day in SoCal) and watched back-to-back bowl games. This is what I call the perfect way to start the new year!

This pear muffin cake is perfect for this kind of lazy day, as it’s very quick and easy to make and it’s delicious!

Pear Muffin Cake
Adapted from Baking: My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan

½ C whole milk
½ C apple cider (or another ½ C milk)
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 ¾ C AP flour
½ C sugar
¼ C brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp salt
¾ C old-fashioned oats
2 pears, peeled & cut into medium chunks
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400F degrees.

Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan.

Whisk together the liquid ingredients (milk, cider, egg, vanilla, melted butter) in medium bowl.

In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt to combine thoroughly. Add the oats and mix to combine.

Using a large rubber spatula, pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix only until combined (less is better). Fold in the diced pears, and pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted into the cake center comes out clean.

Let cake cool until warm or room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into squares, and enjoy!

8 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Super yum! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

oh, my. That looks so good.

Mary Jo said...

sounds like the perfect new year's eve and day to me. happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I'm 21, and the prospective hangover and feeling of my own body hating me, has so far been enough to discourage heavy drinking. So, don't feel too bad. :)

As for Muffin Cake - It's Muffin, and Cake, what's not to love?

Anonymous said...

The cake looks incredible, and so moist. Can't wait to make this for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

We've got all of these Harry & David's pears from a few holiday gift baskets - if I can pry 2 from my husband I've love to parlay them into this cake. Sounds terrific!

test it comm said...

That looks nice and light and moist and good. I like the big chunks of pear in it.

Rumela said...

Thanks for the Pear Muffin Cake recipe. My husband loves sponge cakes. I am going to bake it this weekend. I know it is tricky. Let's see how things turn out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin