Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cran-Apple Crisps (TWD)


As a thin-blooded native Californian, I was reaching for my fuzzy slippers and huddling under a flannel blanket last night as the temperature dipped into the 40's. Okay...you can stop laughing at my weather wimpiness, as I get enough mocking at home courtesy of my hubs. As a New Jersey native, he thought last night's temperature was "refreshingly crisp" and sat next to his shivering wife wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

The hubs and I will forever disagree about how we define cold weather, but we both agreed that this warm Cran-Apple Crisp was the perfect sweet ending to our evening meal. With a short and sweet ingredient list, this recipe can be assembled in a flash. I used a combination of winesap and orin apples that came from Ha's Apple Farm.

For those of you who are SoCal based, I highly recommend that you visit Mr. Ha's stand at your local farmers market (I've seen his stands in Hollywood and Santa Monica). He offers a fantastic variety of apples and they are all super delicious - his fujis are da bomb!Don't be shy about piling a generous amount of the cinnamon ginger crisp topping into the ramekins. Once they are baked, the ingredients settle into a sweet mass of warm and spice-scented deliciousness...
A scoop of vanilla ice cream is an absolute must for this dessert...
Overall, I thought this crisp was yummy! As the crisp topping is sweet, I didn't think the fruit base needed too much additional sugar, so will make a note to dial down the sugar quantity in the fruit mixture. As the apples I used were not overly juicy, I halved the amount of flour called for in the recipe, and the crisp didn't get soggy... it was perfect!

I had quite a bit of crisp topping leftover, and used it the next day as a delicious and not-so-heathly mix-in for my morning oatmeal.

Thanks Em of The Repressed Pastry Chef for this delicious TWD selection. Please visit Em's blog for the complete recipe.

18 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Bwaahahahahahahah!

40's cold....giggle...snort!

Being from Ohio, I get to laugh...your hubbie is right...that is kind of wimpy.


Your crisps look fabulous though.

Amanda said...

Gorgeous! Love that photo of the apples, so vibrant! I made the cran apple crisp this week too, so good. I agree the sugar can be cut down in the fruit, I'm making it again for Thanksgiving and plan to do just that.

Stephanie said...

If it makes you feel any better I live in Miami and as soon as the weather hits the 70s people are out with long-sleeved shirts and scarves!

Dolce said...

I love individual crisps... They are so decadent and yet you have the portion control kind of thing :)
Beautiful pics as always.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, while I don't want it everyday I'd love to get some in the 40's weather. I don't think it's even hit that low on our coldest night yet.

As usual your photos are just wonderful.
~ingrid

Beth said...

I think it's funny you think 40s is cold! But it's also funny that my dad and sister are in LA right now--we're all from Maryland--and they were complaining about the weather in LA as being "too cold." Guess they expected 80 and sunny!

Jennifer said...

Your crisps look delicious! Nice job!

betty geek said...

I love the chunky top! Give me a spoon and I will finish it for you!

Nice job!

The Food Librarian said...

Linda,
I wholeheartedly agree than FORTY degrees is FREEZING. Like I could put cream outside and it will instantly become ICE CREAM. I know that will happen, but I'm too wimpy to try it. But I'm sure.

These are awesome looking crisps! - mary

HilaryDEI said...

Hello Linda!

My name is Hilary and I’m writing to you on behalf of C&H® Sugar. Everyone knows the holiday season can be a busy time of year, and we’d like to give you a head start on your holiday baking and gift planning by offering you a sweet treat!

Each week a select group of food bloggers will receive a $20 gift card to use toward purchasing ingredients to make holiday goodies and gifts. All we ask is that you make something fabulous from our website (http://chsugar.com/giftideas/index.html), and within a week post about it on your blog. Also, make sure to mention that you received a $20 gift card from us, to help with the expenses, and include a link to C&H http://chsugar.com/giftideas/index.html in your post!

To help you out, I have a fun and inexpensive blog post idea for you--host a cookie swap! Invite your friends, swap cookies, take pictures, and tell us what you did to make it special. Short on time? Swap homemade cookie dough instead!

If you’re interested in participating, send me an e-mail with your full name and mailing address and I’ll be sure to get the gift card to you as soon as possible. I can’t wait to read your post to see how you spent your gift card and what delectable creations you’ve made!

Thanks!

Hilary
hilary.ratner@deiworldwide.com

Tammy said...

fabulous photos! I loved this too

Leslie said...

I spent the first 40 years of my life in Miami before moving to California, and I still shiver mightily when the temp dips into the 40s.

Your crisp looks fabulous! I haven't made mine yet but will definitely cut back on the sugar.

Mary Jo said...

these crisps look so good and perfect for the cold weather we've been having :) mr. ha's apples are the best. they are also at the south pasadena and pasadena farmers markets. the last time i was there they were telling me that they have the "real" fuji and some of the other stales aren't. must be why they taste so good.

Steph said...

I think any temperature cooler than summer is too cold..haha. The crisp looks so good! I think it was a little too sweet too

Gigi said...

...mmm looks divine! i would love to eat one curled up on the couch watching a christmas movie :D

Jane said...

This really looks tasty! You have some very lovely photos. Really like your blog!

Pamela said...

Ugh! These pictures totally have me craving this dessert again. Great job.

Unknown said...

I'm a native New Englander and I'm going to agree with you that 40 is chilly! I spent a few years in the south for school and my definition of cold changed so much...

Your crisps are gorgeous! Love the photos, as always. I thought the cranberries made my crisp a bit too tart but a delicious scoop of vanilla like you've got on yours would have done just the trick for me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin