Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Roasted Veggies with Pomegranate Vinaigrette

Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, sweet potato --- the mere mention of these vegetables had my brothers and I groaning with disgust at the dinner table. I'm a big girl now, and my palate has evolved to appreciate and enjoy the flavor of these veggies. Aside from taste, these veggies are packed with nutrition and high in fiber, so you can totally load your plate guilt-free with these gems.

This recipe is a fantastic way to highlight these underappreciated vegetables, and it is super easy to prepare. This is a delicious and nutritious side dish for the Thanksgiving table.

The most time consuming part is cleaning and cutting the veggies:
Roast the prepared veggies until they are cooked through and golden brown:
While the veggies are roasting, you can whip up the vinaigrette. A few months back, the nice people from POM Wonderful sent me a box of their fantastic pomegranate juice, which I put into good use in this recipe. Along with the pomegranate juice, I added just a smidge of pomegranate molasses, which delivers an essential pungent and tart flavor to the vinaigrette. After tossing the still warm veggies with the vinaigrette, top the dish with a generous handful of pomegranate seeds, and...
...enjoy! Easy, isn't it?

Roasted Vegetables with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
adapted from Martha Stewart Living - November 2009

For the Roasted Vegetables
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut
1/2 lb brussels sprouts, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

For the Vinaigrette
1/3 cup pomegranate juice
1 tsp pomegranate molasses (if you can't find this ingredient, you can omit)
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
Preheat the oven to 425F degrees.

Toss the vegetables and oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. (To avoid washing another dish, I toss and season directly on the baking sheet) Roast for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer veggies to a serving platter.

Make the vinaigrette. In a bowl mix the pomegranate juice and molasses. Pour in oil in a slow steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.

Just before serving, drizzle vinaigrette over warm vegetables, and top with pomegranate seeds.

Serves 6





7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those veggies look so delicious! I love roasted veggies. They're so beautiful and colorful - definitely a great side this Thanksgiving!

Barbara said...

I love roasted veggies. Never would have occurred to me to use Pom in the vinaigrette! Great idea.

The Food Librarian said...

Seriously yummy! Love all the flavors and the healthyness of this. Which means...more pumpkin pie for later. -mary

Hannah said...

Awesome! I love pomegranates! They are so good. I have to try some of that POM juice soon!

Jane said...

This looks truly beautiful and delicious. Wonderful!

lolasartisticendeavors said...

I haven't visited your blog is some time and was not disappointed. The roasted vegetables with POM looks delicious. I am not sure I can get the 100% juice here, but I will give it a try. Thanks for such inspiring posts.

chris said...

This was very tasty and had a surprising flavor. It all went together so well and the pomegranate was perfect.

Thanks for posting this!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin