Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chocoblock Cookies (TWD)


This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe for Chocoblock Cookies means serious business with all of these delicious add-ins:
In addition to the above ingredients, this cookie recipe calls for a healthy amount of old-fashioned oats and molasses. As I'm not a big fan of molasses, I substituted an equal amount of Lyle's Golden Syrup, which provides the same consistency as molasses without the strong flavor.
Once all of the ingredients are combined, you end up with a fairly wet sticky dough. To my surprise, the scooped dough didn't spread much as it baked, and it resulted in these hearty, chunky cookies.
I'm usually not a big fan of "everything but the kitchen sink" style cookies, but I really enjoyed noshing on these babies. The cookies had a really nice chew, with the chocolate, coconuts, dried figs, nuts and oats provide a a ton of flavor and textural contrast. I particularly loved the dried figs in combination with the chocolate --- delicious!

Thanks to Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet for a terrific pick this week. Doesn't Mary's blog name make you yearn for summer? :)
I'm sure the TWD bakers got really creative with the cookie ingredients this week, so make sure to peruse the blogroll to some wonderfully yummy creations.

24 comments:

Paula said...

Wish I would have used the golden syrup. Yours turned out a much nicer color. Gorgeous pictures.

chocolatechic said...

Wonderful cookie.

I made a different version.

Mary said...

I loved your variation on this cookie. Thank you for baking along with me!

Pamela said...

Cool, figs! What a neat idea. I didn't mind the molasses, but I think next time I'll follow your lead and try the golden syrup. Your cookies look great.

Anna said...

Those look so tempting! I may have to jump in and make a batch. My only worry is I have dried apricots on hand rather than figs and I'm not sure how those would go over.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

the color on yours is beautiful! i love that you used pecans and figs. I did figs and peanuts but now that i think of it pecans would have been a better pair for me. :)

i hope you'll join me next week for burnt sugar ice cream. it is so yummy!

love your photos!

Jayne said...

Figs! I'll have to try them next time. Your pictures are gorgeous, and I like the color of the cookies better, too - without the molasses.

Jennifer said...

WOW!

Your cookies look absolutely STUNNING!

These were some delicious treats, no?

Anonymous said...

Yours look lovely! Such a nice color.

Cindy said...

I added dates, walnuts and burgandy chocolate chunks. They were delicious. I will have to try figs.

Kayte said...

Your photos are so great, I love that one with all the ingredients labeled, such fun. Your cookies are perfection. Guys here loved, loved, loved these.

Tia said...

they look wholesome, hearty and chewy. :) great combo, nice choice of flavors!

Flourchild said...

They look good and hearty, Im sure they tasted wonderfully! I added trail mix to mine and loved them!

Teanna said...

Your cookies look so delicious! I really pared mine down, because I hate "everything in the kitchen sink" cookies, but yours are making me think that that was a mistake! Gorgeous!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Your cookies look beautiful. I love figs and want to make another batch using them after seeing yours. Good call on the Golden Syrup. I didn't care for the molasses in these and made some without that I really liked.

Criollobylisa said...

I've never heard of golden syrup but your cookies look great!!

margot said...

Your combination looks delicious! I love figs. I was also worried about these having too many ingredients, but they were good.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

wow--i had the worst time photoing these things, but yours look really pretty! all your add in sounds delish!

Hindy said...

Gorgeous photos! Your cookies have a beautiful lighter colour than mine. Very appetizing.

Marthe said...

Great looking cookies! I used golden syrup too, for fruit I used golden raisins. My coworkers loved these, I wasn't too crazy about the oats in them though

TeaLady said...

I think I just put too much in my cookies. YOurs look just right.

Kathleen said...

Your cookies look amazing! I love the lighter color!

Valen said...

Boy these cookies look good! Quite chunky, delicious!

Unknown said...

Great pictures as always Linda! I purposely included mix-ins I didn't like so I wouldn't be tempted to eat too many of these, but my mom loved them. I might try them again with Lyle's Golden Syrup as I'm also not a huge fan of the flavor of molasses - thanks for the idea! Glad you enjoyed these.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin