Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sweet Cream Biscuits (TWD)


{Due to some serious procrastination, I'm doubling up on TWD this week, with the delicious Swedish Visiting Cake preceding this post.}

Flour, cream, sugar, baking powder, salt --- with this short and readily accessible list of ingredients, you can whip up these soft and fluffy Sweet Cream Biscuits.

I enjoy noshing on homemade biscuits - as long as someone else does the baking. My prior experiences with biscuit making have resulted with sad, flat, dense rounds of dough, so I've given up trying --- until now.
In this recipe, heavy cream is used in place of butter and milk, so I was definitely curious to see how these would turn out.

In the book, Dorie Greenspan calls for a combination of all-purpose and cake flour (alternatively, using 100% all-purpose flour will also work). After combining a short list of dry ingredients, a generous amount of heavy cream is added to make the dough.

As I worked with the sticky dough, I was already doubting that these biscuits would turn out. I've definitely been negatively conditioned by my previous biscuit fails. I cut the dough into rounds, popped them into the oven, and hoped for the best.

Biscuit success! The biscuits rose beautifully in the oven, and they came out golden brown with a wonderfully light and fluffy texture.
These biscuits don't need much more than a slathering of butter and jam, as they were so delicious on their own.

Thanks to Melissa of Love At First Bite for a fantastic selection this week...hop over to Melissa's blog for this recipe. Make sure to peruse the Tuesdays With Dorie blogroll for more biscuit deliciousness.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

These look FANTASTIC!

Kayte said...

I would say definitely you had biscuit success! They look absolutely perfect! That jam looks good to me...so bright and pretty.

Tia said...

that's how much butter I like on mine too. LOTS!

Susan said...

They look fabulous!! I have been sitting here, reading everyone's posts, and thinking I should go make another batch of these. :)

Snooky doodle said...

these look just perfect!

Nichicakes said...

they look fantastic ;)

CB said...

Your biscuits turned out perfect. I am fighting the urge to be snarky since mine aren't as perfect as yours. ;)
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Unknown said...

Your biscuits are perfection - I'm so glad this one turned out well for you! I generally don't have great luck with biscuits either and this recipe didn't yield tall fluffy biscuits for me but I'm going to try again soon.

Flourchild said...

Wow your biscuits look so good..nice and fluffy! I ate mine with butter and jam too..so good and I think the best way to eat them! Im glad you liked the recipe, I loved it!

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious!!!

vibi said...

I didn't expect anything other than the most perfect biscuits of all times... LOL They are lovely and I'm sure with butter and jam, fabulous!

Nickki said...

Your biscuits were a roaring success! Perfect! :-)

Jacque said...

Yea! Biscuit success!

I was in the same boat with the biscuit failures.

Yours look really great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin