Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mocha-Walnut Marbled Bundt Cake (TWD)


This week is a Tuesdays With Dorie two-fer! Along with a post for a delicious Coconut Lime Tea Cake, you can read all about a little incident at the Tender Crumb casa which derailed my plans for posting on time last week.

This week's TWD selection is a Mocha-Walnut Marbled Bundt Cake --- sounds pretty delicious doesn't it?
This bundt cake looks unassuming on the outside, but when you cut a slice you will be surprised with this beautiful marbling: the dark cake is flavored with bittersweet chocolate and coffee; light cake is flavored with vanilla.
Finely ground walnuts replace a portion of the flour as a dry ingredient. I added a little of the flour portioned for the recipe (1/4 cup) along with the walnuts to the food processor to grind them, as the flour will prevent the nuts from turning into a nut-butter.

I thought this cake was delicious, but was left wanting a bit more walnut flavor. You can definitely taste the chocolate, coffee and vanilla, which is a fantastic combination. If I didn't know about the walnuts, I would have had no idea that ground nuts were added to this cake.

Flavor aside, the cake is super moist, and it is definitely one that will keep for several days.

Setting aside my minor gripe about the flavor, this cake is definitely worth repeating, and I may experiment with a different nut next time.

For the complete recipe, please visit Erin's blog, When In Doubt...Leave It At 350.

23 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your bundt cake is beautiful! This is a definite "make again" for me!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, your cake is beautiful! You're right about the walnut flavor - I didn't really taste it either, but I only had two bites so I'll evaluate again tomorrow (my cake is in the freezer right now, serving it tomorrow at a gathering of friends!).

Cristine said...

Your cake looks gorgeous! I am with you... I wish the walnut flavor was more prominent, but my husband said it was the first thing he tasted. :)

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious! And sorry, I meant to say in the last post that Sienna looks so cute and pathetic with her collar. Hope she is recovering and learning about the how to control her big self! :)

vibi said...

Is that a perfect bundt, or what??? WOW!

...and I looove that last picture with the chocolate puddle! Amazing!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Gorgeous! :) Can't wait to see how it turns out with different nuts!

Cindy said...

Beautiful cake!

Pamela said...

Those top pictures of the sliced cake are great. The marbling resembles a mushroom cloud...like an explosion of goodness! And the chocolate sauce looks awesome.

Tia said...

ditto what vibi said. chocolate puddles are good!

Marthe said...

That's the most perfect bundt cake I ever saw!

Jeannette said...

Whew, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who didn't taste the punch of walnuts. Your cake certainly looks great!!

Hindy said...

Really nice photos! Your cake looks delicious!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful cake! Your marbling is just perfect!

Beryl said...

Gorgeous pictures- and your marbling is perfection!

Amanda said...

Perfection, looks just beautiful!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I thought the outside of your bundt looked perfectly browned. Makes me want to swipe a piece of just the crust.
~ingrid

Heather said...

A beautiful cake - it's perfectly marbled.

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious with the pool of chocolate sauce! Thanks for the nut butter prevention tip.

Susan said...

Beatiful pictures. Beautiful cake! :)

Erin said...

Thanks for baking with me this week. Your cake looks great :)

TeaLady said...

Your marbling is BEAUTIFUL!! Love the dome of chocolate in the middle of the cake.

Love that little plate, too.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

What a beautiful cake. Mine tasted great, but wasn't so pretty to look at, though the Guinness reduction that I drizzled over it made the appearance not so important. I was surprised at how much walnut flavor I tasted and it might be that I just finely chopped the nuts. The bigger pieces gave off definite flavor when bitten into.

Liz said...

WOW. That is some picture-perfect marbling. Gorgeous!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin